Depleted Enforcers Fall to Wolves, 8-4

by Jon Kliment

The Elmira Enforcers were back in action tonight in Watertown to take on the Wolves in a single night trip. The Enforcers  looked to strike back after dropping their last three in games that came right down to the wire and could have gone either way. Although they would play with a short lineup tonight, Head Coach, Brent Clarke, looked to make an impact as he cracked the lineup for the fourth game in a row.

The action began quickly tonight as the crowd in Watertown had the team excited and ready to go on their home ice. Just a minute and twenty seconds into the game, Joseph Deveny was able to beat the normal backup goaltender, Michael Stiliadis, to give the Wolves a very early 1-0 lead. Looking to add to the lead, Deveny struck again for the Wolves just 3 minutes later as he accepted a pass to the slot and fired a shot into the back of the net to score his second goal of the night in just the first 4 minutes of the game.  This lead to a quick switch and bringing in of Troy Passingham. Before the halfway point of the period, Dominik Bogdziul, who assisted on the first two goals scored in the game was able to collect a goal of his own and stretch the Wolves lead to 3-0. Looking to claw their way back into the game, the Enforcers Hudson Michealis would get them on the board to cut into the Watertown lead and make our score 3-1. Goal scoring was definitely not at a minimum during the first period, as Dominik Bogdziul would net his second goal of the game just nine seconds later and extend their lead back to 3. With less than a minute left in the period, the Enforcers leading goal scorer, Brandon Tucker, cutting into the Watertown lead and making our score 4-2. The total shots finished 22-16 with the Wolves leading in that department at the end of our first 20 minutes.

It took just over fifteen minutes for our first goal of the second period to be scored, but it was Watertown striking again as Kyle Powell was able to beat Passingham extending the Wolves lead to 5-2. Although the action was not nearly as prominent in the second period, both teams split time in their respective offensive zones, with Watertown finishing the first 40 minutes still leading in the shot column, 45-28.

The third period began much like the first one, with the Watertown Wolves striking just a minute and thirty seconds in as Deric Boudreau was able to accept a pass in the slot and send the puck across the line to make the score 6-2. Not even 30 full second later, Boudreau struck again as he was able to flip the puck over Passingham’s shoulder and extend their lead to 5 goals, making the score 7-2. Refusing to go down without a fight, the Enforcers Hudson Michealis  sent his second goal of the game into the back of the net and made the score 7-3. Watertown just wouldn’t give up tonight as Kyle Powell would fire his second goal of the night into the net, extending the Watertown lead to 8-3. Hudson Michealis was the star of the night for the Enforcers as he finished off his hat-trick just before the 5-minute mark of the third period, cutting the Wolves lead in half and making the score 8-4.

The game would finish with the Wolves dominating on the ice and winning 8-4. As expected with a four goal win, Watertown also lead in the shot column at the end of 60 minutes, 59-45. The Elmira Enforcers will be back in action on Friday, January 3rd when the Battle Creek Rumble Bees come to town for the first time ever for a weekend series at the First Arena.

-contributed by Zack  Braster