Enforcers stretch win streak to 7!

by Jon Kliment

The Enforcers came into tonight’s game looking to continue their winning ways after winning their franchise record 6thgame in a row last night against Watertown. This weekend was another home and home for Elmira as they played at the First Arena Friday night and played tonight in Watertown. Brendan Hussey was definitely a player to watch tonight once again as he has scored 5 goals in the Enforcers last three contests, including a hat-trick. I think everyone was also interested to see if the attitudes and chirping from last night would spill over into tonight’s game as the Enforcers Ahmed Mahfouz and Watertown’s Tyler Gjurich were thrown out after a scuffle late in the third period of Friday night’s game.

The first twenty minutes seemed to be all Watertown as despite the penalties they took they controlled the puck in their offensive zone for most of the period. Cracking the scoreboard first for the Wolves was the former Enforcer Chris Williamson right after the halfway point of the period. Looking like a repeat of last night’s game, Watertown’s Lane King was able to find some room to score, beating the Elmira net-minder Troy Passingham and giving the Wolves an early 2-0 lead. The Enforcers would make some headway during the period though, as after a couple of missed attempts Mitch Atkins would finally bury the puck on the power play to cut the Watertown lead in half, making the score 2-1. This score would hold true for the rest of the period, with Elmira down 2-1, but leading in the shot column 15-11.

The 2ndperiod was much of the same, as despite the opportunities they were given on the power play, Elmira just couldn’t seem to find a rhythm. The lone goal of this period came very early on as the FHL’s points leader and leading goal scorer Tyler Gjurich found the back of the net for the Wolves third goal of the game, making the score 3-1. If you thought two power plays in one period was enough, the Enforcers went on the power play four separate times throughout the duration of the second period, but just couldn’t seem to get the scoring opportunities that they needed. We ended the first forty minutes with Watertown leading 3-1 in the score column, and Elmira leading in the shot column 28-17.

The 3rdperiod proved to be the turning point for the Enforcers. Looking for the comeback just like last night, they were able to capitalize on the Watertown mistakes and penalties, making them pay. Scoring first was the newer Enforcer Tyler Prendergast, bringing the score to 3-2. Not even a full minute later the assistant captain Glen Patterson would complete the comeback after Mitch Atkins sent a prayer of a shot at the Watertown net-minder and he was unable to handle it, giving Patterson the chance to put one in! Despite many outstanding chances Elmira was unable to win the game in regulation, sending us to another overtime game in Watertown. Last time we went to overtime here in Watertown the Enforcers went to their first ever shootout.

Overtime can be one of the most exciting times in a hockey game, and it proved to be that tonight. Looking like something out of Mighty Ducks II, Stepan Timofeyev was able to bring the puck from behind the net and bury one that even the Watertown Wolves couldn’t believe went in to keep the Enforcers winning streak alive at 7 in a row! Elmira will be back at home on Wednesday night when they take on the NYPD in what should be a fun filled evening!

*Contributed by Zachary Braster