Wolves Overcome Enforcers On The Road, 4-3

by Jon Kliment

The Enforcers came into the second matchup of the weekend series feeling the sting of defeat after last night’s 5-4 defeat at the hands of the same Watertown Wolves. The Enforcers impressive offensive display has continued to thrive even through a couple of losses. Tonight, was the debut of goaltender Cody Porter as he hoped for a successful homecoming against the Wolves, the team who traded him earlier this week.

The first period got off to a bang when after an altercation with another member of the Wolves team Chase Tippin took down Glen Patterson earning himself 5:00 in the penalty box. The Enforcers took advantage of the power play as Tyler Prendergast was able to put one home just 2:54 into the game. When Tippin was finally released he went right back to work this time against Brandon Vuic in a tilt that was pretty even. Not even thirty seconds later Darren Lamble and Justin Coachman added another bout to the first period’s card as Prendergast got hit with a slashing call. Marko Novosel then joined in on the action taking down the league’s leading scorer Tyler Gjurich earning him a 5:00 penalty of his own. After killing a 5 on 3 and then a 5 on 4 the Enforcers tallied another goal with tic tac toe passing from Patterson to Ahmed Mahfouz with Kyle Stevens banging it home with under four minutes to go in the period. This led to one more scrap between JT Walters and Justin Portillo before the period was said and done.

Despite more of a fight night feel in the first the second period felt a lot less like a pro boxing match, which interestingly enough did not favor the Enforcers. The Wolves scored two in the second after they were gifted a 5 on 3 power play with goals coming from Yianni Liarakos and Tyler Gjurich. Through two periods that meant all four goals had occurred on the power play.

The third period saw more of the same as Watertown doubled up Elmira’s shot total, but was only able to sneak one by Porter, the first one at even strength. It took another four and a half minutes but Brendan Hussey got the equalized with under two minutes to go as well at even strength. Hussey continued his hot streak giving him five points in the last five games. Both teams looked for the go ahead goal for the last 90 seconds, but neither team could achieve the point and the game went to overtime.

The overtime started out in the Enforcers favor as they pushed the pace and controlled the puck. After a stumble in the offensive zone the Enforcers retreated behind their own net to reset, but the puck was stolen and thrown in front to the slot to Kyle Powell as he tallied the overtime winner.

The Enforcers will be back in action tomorrow night at 6:00 pm at Watertown Municipal Arena as they hope to take a victory on the weekend.